Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Going back to the Basics...


Well last night I thought I would go back to my roots of cooking and do something that I know I can cook well! So, I went with my classic Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. Some may say, "How is cooking fried chicken, going back to the basics"? Well for me it is...it's just one of those foods that I've always cooked and cooked pretty well! I was determined to cook this well and observe myself to see what it is that I do, that makes this work out so well. I did realize that I am very confident when cooking Fried chicken...probably because I have made it a million times. I also realized that I was not in a rush...I know that in order to make good fried chicken you have to cook it pretty slowly. If you cook it at too high of a temperature, the fried coating will burn and the chicken won't get fully cooked. You also cannot get impatient...you have to let it cook quite a while on one side before turning it over. Otherwise the fried coating will come off.


I think knowing that cooking the fried chicken was going to be a lengthy process, I was ready for it to be time consuming. Therefore I wasn't in a hurry and could take my time with it. I think the biggest problem with cooking that I tend to have is that I am usually pretty hungry by the time I start cooking and I grow far too impatient while it cooks and then get annoyed and try to find shortcuts to get food in my mouth sooner!

The ONLY problem with the fried chicken last night is that I was far too heavy with the season salt...ugh! There seems to always be something wrong with some aspect of my cooking (this has only been so in the last 6 years!). I sometimes have a problem of making food a bit bland because I'm worried about over seasoning! This time, I "went big" and it was a BIG mistake. I guess I should stick to making things more on the bland side...because you can always add to it once it's been cooked.

Needless to say...I do feel a bit defeated today from my salting fiasco! So, I will not be cooking tonight! However, I did learn that my patience (or lack thereof) is my downfall yet again!

...I think God is trying to tell me something here, what do ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment