Monday, March 28, 2011

Is It Summer Yet?

Well it was brought to my attention that I haven't written on my blog in a while, so I figured I should really get to it! Especially since I am currently unemployed, I really have no excuse that I "don't have time"! lol

Oddly enough with being home more, you'd think that I would be cooking more...but that just hasn't been the case! I did however, make a roast last week that came out pretty good! I had gone to Stater Brothers in hopes to come home with some Porterhouse steaks to throw on the grill. However, having just lost my job I was pretty hesitant to spend the money for them. Not that they're crazy expensive or anything or that I don't have the money for them...but for whatever reason I just could not bring myself to buy them (you'd think I was buying kobe or something)! So, I looked at what was on sale and I noticed that some of their roasts were. With the cold kick that's swept through SoCal again lately, I thought a yummy roast and potatoes would be perfect!

Unfortunately, I was a little bit pressed for time since I was wanting to join a women's auxiliary meeting that night. So to keep it simple, I rubbed some salt and pepper and garlic powder all over (lightly), and then I took about 5-6 garlic cloves and cut grooves into the top of the roast and kind of buried the cloves into the meat. I had pre-heated the oven to 400, placed the roast on a cooling rack and placed that on top of a cookie sheet and placed it in the oven. I let it cook for about an hour and a half with the oven on. After that time, it was still a bit on the rare side, but I had to leave to go to the meeting. So, I stuck it back into the oven (with it turned off) and left! I had read on some recipes that they actually tell you to cook it that way, so I figured it would be fine.

While the flavoring turned out to be pretty good, I dare say that by the time I got home (2.5 hours later), the roast was pretty much at the "well done" stage. Fortunately, it wasn't too tough, but it just was not what I would have preferred. I whipped up some mashed potatoes and called it done for the night.

Essentially, yet again I was reminded at how important timing really is in cooking. Unfortunately, what I had intended on cooking in the allotted time that I had, I talked myself out of over a couple of dollars difference, which in the end I don't think really "saved" me a whole lot.

Meanwhile, I've been watching Giada at home and Barefoot Contessa to get more ideas and to see how things are done. I probably won't ever make anything that Giada does, mainly because her recipes are typically more complex or are dished that we just wouldn't really enjoy...but I love hearing her ideas and watching how she does things. As for Ina, I think I will eventually use some of her recipes as hers are more for the "everyday person" and generally are quick and easy.

Well, stay tuned for what lies ahead! As usual, if I find any good recipes, I'll be sure and share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment